Links and notes that affect the MAC dearly that don't warrant entire posts:
• Terry Bowden and Akron have a few quarterbacks to select for their new offense but Patrick Nicely won't be one of them. The 2009 and 2010 Zips starter lost the job to Clayton Moore last year and now he's just leaving altogether. He'll go to class, finish up the semester and then look for another school.
He's going to be a senior but he also has a redshirt he can burn for a transfer year — or he could bolt to an FCS school. Either way, he has one year to play so he better make it count. [News-Herald]
• Toledo basketball legend and SportsTime Ohio basketball color analyst Steve Mix will no longer be heard alongside Michael Reghi for the time being. Mix was hired as the women's basketball coach at Division III Trine University in Indiana. He's been around basketball a lot with his basketball camps but I believe this is his first official coaching job. [WANE]
• It shouldn't surprise anyone that John Groce would take some of his OHIO assistants with him to Illinois. One of them for sure: Jamall Walker will be part of Groce's Illini staff. [Chicago Tribune]
• "Could be the most earthshaking move in the history of Mid-American Conference men’s basketball" — That's how David Carducci is describing the Jim Christian hire. [Recordpub]
• A terse argument for departing WMU wide receiver Jordan White being drafted by the Detroit Lions. [Rant Sports]