We're expanding our coverage footprint and are looking to grow our team with several new writers and social media coordinators. Covering 13 schools is hard work, and takes a large and skilled team to give MAC fans what they deserve.
We've already got a great core of contributors, but we're in need of a few more highly-skilled and passionate people to help us reach our next step. If you're a comms/journalism student these positions can give you real-world experience and exposure beyond what a college media outlet can give you. If you're a blogger going it alone, we can provide you with better resources, and once again more exposure. Or maybe you're just a fan/alum that enjoys writing about MAC sports and wants a new way to share your knowledge/analysis. Either way we have spots for you.
Our coverage goes beyond just the games and breaking news events themselves. We set ourselves apart by providing in-depth analysis and witty opinion pieces, so passion, knowledge and creativity are must-haves. If you want to pursue a career in this field we can give you the opportunity to develop as a writer/social media producer, in an environment to freedom and exploration. Word-counts are not an issue here either. We care about giving the MAC fans what they want, excellent quality coverage and analysis and highly entertaining pieces.
Now on to the specifics. We have multiple voluntary writer/social media producer positions (internship credit may be available to journalism/comms students) with these requirements in mind:
- Expertise and knowledge about the MAC in general, a specific MAC sport, or a specific MAC team
- Ability to write clean, grammatically correct prose, preferably with some knowledge of AP Style
- Ability to formulate well thought out opinions and articulate those to readers in a way that engages community interaction
- Ability to think outside the box and create content besides gamers, especially critical for our offseason coverage
We're also looking for people to help us coordinate our social media presence:
- Skilled and knowledgeable in the use of social networks such as Google+ and Facebook
- A passion for and working knowledge of trends in social media, and ways to use them to promote media brands
- Ability to create engaging content for social media that drives traffic to our web page while also promoting interaction on our social media pages
- Social media
- Toledo coverage
- Kent State coverage
- Central Michigan coverage
- Western Michigan coverage
- Eastern Michigan coverage
- Women's basketball coverage (all schools)
- Recruiting coverage (football/basketball, all schools)
These positions are voluntary, so there is no financial compensation, but if you're a communications or journalism student internship credit are possible.
Now you may be thinking, what are the benefits of joining Hustle Belt? Well, these are just a few of them:
- Join a strong, growing brand that can provide you with great exposure for your work, and an ability to develop your brand as a writer/social media wiz
- Use of a powerful and advanced content management system exclusive to Vox Media that makes normal CMS's seem complicated and weak
- Ability to grow as a writer and work for a modern online-based publication with people that know how to write for the web (READ: SEO)
If you're afraid of commitment and are looking for a one-time thing, consider submitting a FanPost or FanShot. It's a great way to share your opinions with the rest of the community, and if it's real good it may even make it's way onto our front page.