This could honestly be the best race for a fake trophy ever. The running back competition is top notch and Dri Archer confuses everyone with what position he plays. Here's a look at the top five on the Wasean Tait Watch List.
1. Beau Blankenship (Ohio) - Blankenship is the MAC's returning leading rusher for a running back coming off a 1,604 yard season. He was a workhorse for Frank Solich's squad carrying the ball 312 times finding the end zone 15 times. His spot on the list could be jeopardized if Ryan Boykin can stay healthy and split some of the carries with him.
2. Branden Oliver (Buffalo) - Probably the most gifted running back in the conference. Expect him to have a season more like his sophomore year where he carried the ball 300-plus times for 1,395 yards.
3. Zurlon Tipton (Central Michigan) - Tipton is looking to ride a heat streak from the end of last season where he hit the century mark on the ground for his last seven games. With Ryan Radcliff gone, the Chips can rely on Tipton for a big season.
4. David Fluellen (Toledo) -Fluellen finished last season two yards shy of 1,500 with 13 touchdowns. He'll have a tough test to start the season as Toledo heads to Gainesville to take on the Gators.
5. Driyion Archam (Kent State) - A combination of Dri Archer and Trayion Durham, both of which rushed for 1,000-plus yards in 2012. It would be an injustice to leave either off the list, but Archer's role could decrease in the run game and he could be more of a threat in the passing game. Durham could be the work horse. Once one or both becomes established as the season progresses, they'll be split back into two people.
Wait, dude, where's Anthon Samuel?...