For the second week in a row, the Toledo offense wasn’t impressive in the first half, and scored a bunch in the second. CMU was also able to move the ball better in the second half, but it wasn’t enough to keep pace. We already knew the MAC West was a really good football division. After Toledo beat CMU, we also learned;
1. Cold weather football is back. It was below 50 degrees at kickoff, and it showed with the offensive performance of both teams in the first half. It’s a little harder to throw and catch and everything else on offense when it’s cold. While just below 50 degrees might not make that much of a difference, it certainly will when it’s below 30 and snowing.
2. Anyone can have a huge day for the Toledo offense. Cody Thompson had 4 TDs against Central Michigan. Micheal Roberts had 3 TDs the week before against Bowling Green. Jon’Vea Johnson had 3 TDs against BYU. Which Rockets player is going to have a monster game next?
3. It’s fun to kick someone while they are down, and today I am going to kick the Big 12. Iowa State AD Jamie Pollard said the Big 12 was the Mountain West without Texas and Oklahoma. With a little work, they could be the MAC West. Oklahoma State lost to CMU in dramatic fashion, and is currently 3-1 in the Big 12. CMU is 2-2 in the MAC West and virtually out of contention. Maybe WMU will get a crack at the number 2 in the Big 12 in the Cotton Bowl with conference pride on the line.
4. While CMU is probably out of contention for the MAC West, it’s most certainly going bowling this season. CMU has losses to the two teams at the top of the MAC West, likely taking it out of contention for a division crown. They only need one game to go bowling, and 3 of their 4 remaining games are against MAC East opponents. (See, kicking people while they are down IS fun!)
5. There are a lot of really good QBs in the MAC West. Cooper Rush(CMU), Logan Woodside(Toledo), Zach Terrell(WMU) and Riley Neal(BSU) are 1 thru 4 in the MAC in passing yards. All are over 110 in passer rating and the top 3 are all over 150. The 4 have combined for 65 touchdowns already on the season.