clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

2017 MAC Men’s Basketball Recap: Kent State Golden Flashes at Bowling Green Falcons

Kent State endures a late BGSU rally to eke out its tenth conference win.

Kent State v Texas Photo by Chris Covatta/Getty Images

Kent State toughed out a close second half after falling behind in the first to beat Bowling Green tonight by a final score of 74-67.

Wes Alcegaire put the Falcons on the board first, scoring and drawing a foul after one minute to put Bowling Green up 3-0. Jimmy Hall mirrored with a shot and free throw of his own to tie it up.

The two teams traded baskets to make it 5-5, but there was no more scoring before the first media timeout.

Antwon Lillard broke the draw shortly afterward, and Bowling Green regained the lead. Lillard threw down a dunk for two more, and the Falcons drew another foul to recover the ball. Rasheed Worrell made one of his two shots on the foul.

Jaylin Walker gave Kent the lead with the first three-pointer of the game, and Matt Fox answered right back near the eight-minute mark. After the offensive flurry, the Falcons led 17-16. Fox struck again from three to extend the lead to five, after which the Golden Flashes turned the ball over, but the Falcons were called for traveling.

Dylan Frye later tacked on three more points to keep the lead at five, and Fox would make it six from beyond the arc. Jaylin Walker cut BGSU’s lead to three from three within three, and Hall put up two more to make it one. One is where it stayed, and the Falcons took a 35-34 advantage into halftime.

Mitch Peterson tied the game at 39 from three early in the second, and Jaylin Walker re-tied it at 41 following a Falcons basket. At the first media timeout of the second half, the game was knotted at 44.

Deon Edwin broke the deadlock from three after the break to give Kent State its largest lead of the game. Peterson then hit from three to give Kent a six-point lead, equalling the Falcons’ largest advantage. The Flashes’ lead would hit eight before Lillard put up two points with one hand and was fouled. His free throw was no good.

Zack Denny hit for two to continue chipping away at the Flashes’ lead, but Jalen Avery could not be stopped from three, and the KSU lead ballooned to six. Denny hit another three to half the Kent lead, and the Flashes had the shot clock expire on them, giving the Falcons the ball back with just over five minutes to go. Denny stayed hot, converting two points, and the Falcons scored twice in quick succession with the help of a defensive steal to cut their deficit to one with 1:05 left.

KSU then missed a free throw and the Falcons recovered. Alcegaire missed at the rim, and the Flashes brought the ball up the court with a 19-second difference between the clocks. Kent’s Avery went to the line after a foul and hit both shots to put his team up three. With fourteen seconds left, Edwin hit two more free throws to make the Flashes’ lead five. A BGSU airball gave Kent the ball back, and Peterson took it to the hoop, dunking on the final play of the game to give KSU a 74-67 win.

The Golden Flashes improve to 18-12 overall and 10-7 in MAC play, while Bowling Green falls to 13-17 overall and 7-10 in conference.

BGSU plays at Buffalo on March 3, while KSU meets Akron at home on the 3rd.