They say the summer time is a slow time for the sports world. Slow? Maybe. But it’s also a good time to do some things that perhaps we (and ultimately, you) don’t have time for through the hustle and bustle of the sports calendar year. So in that accord, we’re happy to be undertaking a bit of a project this summer where the best and brightest of the Mid-American Conference gets recognized forever in the hallowed halls of Hustle Belt, the web’s premier home for MACtion and all things MACtion-related, in the newly crafted Hustle Belt Hall of Fame.
Here’s how the Hall of Fame works:
- Some info and the schedule for the Hall of Fame can be found here.
- Nominations are solicited from the community via a post just like this one for each of our MAC programs.
- After all MAC programs’ nominations, no more than 10 nominees are put forward for each school and a poll is created.
- The top two vote getters in each school’s poll is inducted into the Hustle Hall of Fame. Simple.
Next up is the Western Michigan Broncos!
WMU is our final program put up for initial nominees, but in some respects, it’s our most representative and diverse body of nominees. Old and new, revenue and non-revenue, men and women. Just missing the cut was our own Brandon Fitzsimons, he of ESPN Outside the Lines guest spot fame under the Hustle Belt banner. You’d think landing on the Worldwide Leader from here would be reason enough to land in the Hustle Hall, but that’s more a veteran’s committee decision, I believe. The list of Broncos otherwise is just too solid. Our initial list of nominees are:
- Corey Davis, football
- Fran Ebert, softball/basketball
- PJ Fleck, football
- John Gill, various
- Judson Hyames, baseball
- Greg Jennings, football
- Bill Lajoie, baseball
- Charlie Maher, baseball
- Jamal Mayers, hockey
- Ira Murchinson, track and field
- Manny Newsome, basketball
- John Offerdahl, football
- Ben Reed, basketball
- John Saunders, hockey
- Tricia VanDerSlik, softball
Of course, the nominations above are the best we could do, but we are far from the expert that you likely are. So, we’re asking fans like you to tell us who we may have missed (or who shouldn’t be in there) in the comment section below. Do your best, and don’t worry... it’s only for an immortal award.
Comment section, Broncos fans. Come fan with us!