They say the summer time is a slow time for the sports world. Slow? Maybe. But it’s also a good time to do some things that perhaps we (and ultimately, you) don’t have time for through the hustle and bustle of the sports calendar year. So in that accord, we’re happy to be undertaking a bit of a project this summer where the best and brightest of the Mid-American Conference gets recognized forever in the hallowed halls of Hustle Belt, the web’s premier home for MACtion and all things MACtion-related, in the newly crafted Hustle Belt Hall of Fame.
Here’s how the Hall of Fame works:
- Some info and the schedule for the Hall of Fame can be found here.
- Nominations are solicited from the community via a post just like this one for each of our MAC programs.
- After all MAC programs’ nominations, no more than 10 nominees are put forward for each school and a poll is created.
- The top two vote getters in each school’s poll is inducted into the Hustle Hall of Fame. Simple.
First up is the Akron Zips!
Akron’s athletic achievements have been wide and diverse, so it’s fitting that their nominations for the Hustle Hall of Fame reflect the breadth of their successes. Our initial list of nominees are:
- Jimmal Ball, men’s basketball
- Shawn Barber, track and field
- John Heisman, Head Football Coach
- Joe Jakubic, men’s basketball
- Stu Parry, men’s soccer
- Christi Smith, track and field
- Jason Taylor, football
- Steve Zakuani, men’s soccer
Of course, our nominations above are the best we could do, but we are far from the expert that you likely are. So, we’re asking fans like you to tell us who we may have missed in the comment section below. Do your best, and don’t worry... it’s only for an immortal award.
Comment section, Zips fans. Come fan with us!