They say the summer time is a slow time for the sports world. Slow? Maybe. But it’s also a good time to do some things that perhaps we (and ultimately, you) don’t have time for through the hustle and bustle of the sports calendar year. So in that accord, we’re happy to be undertaking a bit of a project this summer where the best and brightest of the Mid-American Conference gets recognized forever in the hallowed halls of Hustle Belt, the web’s premier home for MACtion and all things MACtion-related, in the newly crafted Hustle Belt Hall of Fame.
Here’s how the Hall of Fame works:
- Some info and the schedule for the Hall of Fame can be found here.
- Nominations are solicited from the community via a post just like this one for each of our MAC programs.
- After all MAC programs’ nominations, no more than 10 nominees are put forward for each school and a poll is created.
- The top two vote getters in each school’s poll is inducted into the Hustle Hall of Fame. Simple.
Next up is the Miami University RedHawks!
Miami is also a curious case in that who you argue for inclusion is going to be completely based on what you feel this Hall of Fame should represent. Is it about what a student athlete did while they were on campus? Is it about what they did in the professional ranks? Do coaches qualify? If they do, then the list for Miami could be almost exclusively them. Oxford isn’t the Cradle of Coaches for nothing. Our initial list of nominees are:
- Ben Roethlisberger, football
- Wally Szczerbiak, basketball
- Charlie Coles, basketball
- Dan Boyle, hockey
- Paul Brown, football
- Mark Coleman, wrestling
- Adam Eaton, baseball
- Mike Emrick, hockey
- Weeb Ewbank, football
- John Harbuagh, football
- Ron Harper, basketball
- Bill Mallory
- Terry Hoeppner
- Mike “The Miz” Mizanin, wrestling
- Bill Mulliken, swimming
- Ara Paraseghian, football
- Bo Schembechler, football
Of course, the nominations above are the best we could do, but we are far from the expert that you likely are. So, we’re asking fans like you to tell us who we may have missed (or who shouldn’t be in there) in the comment section below. Do your best, and don’t worry... it’s only for an immortal award.
Comment section, RedHawks fans. Come fan with us!