Are you passionate about Mid-American Conference sports or a member institution? Are you willing to be a consistent writer and have your articles published on one of the few conference-wide sites on SBNation?
If so, we're looking for experienced, passionate sports writers to publish quality articles on Hustle Belt and have the chance at becoming a regular contributor.
We're looking to bring on several writers to our staff this summer — preferably ones with a strong knowledge of basketball and/or football — that can write 1-3 MAC or MAC-member related posts per week.
We don't provide pay to start, but we do provide opportunities to get credentialed to events if you write here long enough, including basketball, baseball, softball, and football games. There can be paid spots for those who stay committed and show they're reliable over several months.
For interested writers: You will be able to write on one or more of the following: MAC basketball, MAC football, MAC women's SHOOTYHOOPS, baseball, softball, recruiting, MACtion in the NBA/NFL, etc. If you are an expert in just one sport or have a passion for one school in the MAC that is fine — we’re still interested in hearing from you.
This is an entry-level position in sports media. Candidates with at least one full year of writing experience at another blog, newspaper or writing service are preferred but not required. Experience in producing sports news in either an intern, academic or professional capacity is also preferable but not required.
Any kind of writing or communication degree (or degree in-progress) is also preferred but not required. Strong knowledge of sports and a demonstrated ability to write in an online environment are musts.
Our ideal candidate:
- Has strong knowledge about MAC sports, both current and historical or one of its member institutions
- Possesses excellent writing skills
- Is good with interviewing players and coaches.
- Has a nose for news, both in knowing what is important and identifying where to find it.
- Is able to write in line with our best practices for ideal search engine optimization (SEO).
- Is able to write and publish quickly while remaining accurate.
- Is a self-starter who can work with minimal direction.
- Possesses solid communication skills.
- Is comfortable working in a virtual environment.
How to apply
Please email email@example.com with the following info:
1. Full Name, Email Address, Topics/Sports interested in blogging about, Twitter handle, writing availability, and why you want to write for our site/network.
2. Examples of your posts and links to any previous work you have done.
3. Your resume and LinkedIn profile if you have one.
4. We will require an initial post for evaluations that we will publish on our site if it is suitable.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Note: A writing position here is not guaranteed.