Football is finally here. Or to be more precise, it will be Thursday at 8 P.M. when the Arizona Cardinals take on the Dallas Cowboys in the first NFL preseason game. Some may say the game means nothing and they would be wrong. To the young men trying to make a roster, it means everything. According to this article from SportsDay, neither team will be playing their starters. That should provide these ex-MAC players an opportunity to show their stuff.
On the Cardinals
- Cap Capi, Linebacker, 6’3, 249, #42, Akron Zips. Capi is in his second year in the NFL. He is already on his 4th team. He joined the Cardinals practice squad on October 3rd, 2016, and was signed on January 3rd, 2017.
- Gabe Martin, Linebacker, 6’2, 236, #50, Bowling Green Falcons. Martin attended Bowling Green before joining the Cardinals in 2015. He played in 8 games last season, recording 2 tackles and a fumble recovery.
- Ronald Zamort, Cornerback, 5’10, 174, #38, Western Michigan Broncos: Zamort is in his second season. Unfortunately he is on IR with a torn ACL.
On the Cowboys
- Richard Ash, Nose Tackle, 6’3, 333, #76, Western Michigan Broncos: After beginning his career in Jacksonville, he was picked up by the Cowboys on 12/28/16. He recorded 6 tackles last season, 2 with Dallas and 4 with the Jaguars.
- Ruben Carter, Center, 6’4, 312, #62, Toledo Rockets: In his second season, he was picked up by Dallas on 5/24 after starting his career with the Dolphins.
- Zac Dysert, QB, 6’3, 221, #4, Miami RedHawks: Drafted in the 7th round by the Broncos in 2013, he is on his 7th team. Ironically, his last team was the Cardinals. Sadly, he is on IR with a herniated disk.
- Kavon Frazier, SS, 6’, 215, #35, Central Michigan Chippewas: Frazier was a 6th round pick for the Cowboys in 2016, and signed a 4 year contract. He appeared in 9 games last season.
- Cooper Rush, QB, 6’3, 228, #7: Rush is an undrafted rookie for the Cowboys. Rush should see extensive time and it could very well be a make or break game for him.
MACtion doesn’t start for another few weeks, but this will be a good game to see some former players do their thing.