You really can’t write up a debut much better than how Preston Hutchinson performed on Saturday evening, as he led the Eastern Michigan Eagles to a pivotal MAC West victory over the Western Michigan Broncos, an in-state rival.
The circumstances, combined with his numbers, made him the reader’s favorite candidate for Hustle Belt Player of the Week.
Hey Belters: Vote for Week 8 POTW here!— Hustle BOO-lt (@HustleBelt) October 23, 2019
* EMU QB Preston Hutchinson: 31-36, 357 yards, 4 total TDs
* Ohio QB Nathan Rourke: 19-28, 342 yards, 2 TDs; 79 rush yards, 2 TDs
*UB LB Ladarius Mack: 4 TKL, 3 TFL, sack, 1 FF, 1 FR, TD
* CMU DB Da'Quaun Jamison: 6 TKL, 2 INT, 3 QB hurry
Hutchinson was a call to the bullpen, as usual starter Mike Glass III was diagnosed with an undisclosed injury apparently suffered during practice. He was a gameday decision which ultimately couldn’t go.
He well exceeded any reasonable expectations, finishing 31-of-36 for 357 yards, three passing touchdowns and no interceptions to help lead the Eagles’ efforts on offense. Hutchison even added a six-yard rushing touchdown to get on the board himself, capping a 14-point unanswered streak to give EMU a pivotal lead to start the third quarter.
Hutchinson showed uncommon composure despite the pressure situations late, throwing what would become the game-winning touchdown with 36 seconds to go in the game, on a SportsCenter Top 10-worthy gem to Mathew Sexton on a high-point ball in front of the pylon despite white-on-rice coverage.
Hutchinson becomes the second EMU QB to win Player of the Week Honors, and the fourth MAC West QB to do so. He’s also the seventh MAC West player to win the award so far in 2019.
The 2019 Hustle Belt Player of the Week Award List
- Week 1: Jon Wassink, QB, WMU (20-of-25, 368 yards, five touchdowns vs. Monmouth)
- Week 2: Drew Plitt, QB, Ball State (32-of-40, 439 yards, six touchdowns vs. Fordham)
- Week 3: Mike Glass III, QB, EMU (23-of-36, 316 yards, three touchdowns vs. Illinois)
- Week 4: Bryant Koback, RB, Toledo (20 touches, 236 yards, four total touchdowns vs. Colorado State)
- Week 5: Mike Brown, DB, Miami (six total tackles [1 solo, 5 assisted], two interceptions, 25-yard pick-six vs. Buffalo)
- Week 6: Jonathan Ward, RB, CMU (15 touches, 205 total yards, three total touchdowns vs. EMU)
- Week 7: Tre Harbison, RB, NIU (25 touches, 113 total yards, three second half touchdowns vs. Ohio)
- Week 8: Preston Hutchinson, QB, EMU (31-of-36, 357 yards, four touchdowns [one rushing] vs. WMU)