It’s honestly a surprise to see LeVante Bellamy collecting his first Player of the Week award this deep into the season, but it’s been a very strange year for our favroite conference.
Bellamy had to beat out plenty of other worthy players for the honor, including Joey Banks, Nathan Rourke and Bryant Koback, all of whom helped lead their teams to victory in last week’s action.
Bellamy’s performance, though, was perhaps the most electric of all of them, as he made quick work of the Falcons to win the fan vote for Hustle Belt Player of the Week:
Time to vote for the Week 9 POTW!— Hustle Belt, but Thanksgiving themed (@HustleBelt) November 1, 2019
* WMU RB LeVante Bellamy: 17 rush, 178 yards, 4 TDs
* Buffalo DB Joey Banks: 10 tackles, forced fumble, interception
* Ohio QB Nathan Rourke: 127 rush yards, two TD; 8/16, 131 pass yards
* Toledo RB Bryant Koback: 32 rush, 259 yards, 2 TDs
Bellamy is not only one of the best backs in the MAC; he’s also one of the best running backs in the nation, currently in third place for rushing yards (1,055 through Week 9) and leading the country in rushing touchdowns (17 through Week 9.)
Against Bowling Green, he shredded the middle of the defense in just 17 carries, picking up 178 yards and four touchdowns to bury the Falcons at home on Senior Day. He averaged an incredible 10.47 yards per carry on the day and scored at least once every 4.25 of said carries. It was about as effective a performance as you could ask for, and Bellamy got a much needed rest with the game in hand.
Bellamy becomes the second WMU player to win POTW honors, with Jon Wassink winning in Week 1. He’s the third running back to win the award, with Bryant Koback and Jonathan Ward winning the honors in Weeks 4 and 6, respecitvely.
The 2019 Hustle Belt Player of the Week Award List
- Week 1: Jon Wassink, QB, WMU (20-of-25, 368 yards, five touchdowns vs. Monmouth)
- Week 2: Drew Plitt, QB, Ball State (32-of-40, 439 yards, six touchdowns vs. Fordham)
- Week 3: Mike Glass III, QB, EMU (23-of-36, 316 yards, three touchdowns vs. Illinois)
- Week 4: Bryant Koback, RB, Toledo (20 touches, 236 yards, four total touchdowns vs. Colorado State)
- Week 5: Mike Brown, DB, Miami (six total tackles [1 solo, 5 assisted], two interceptions, 25-yard pick-six vs. Buffalo)
- Week 6: Jonathan Ward, RB, CMU (15 touches, 205 total yards, three total touchdowns vs. EMU)
- Week 7: Tre Harbison, RB, NIU (25 touches, 113 total yards, three second half touchdowns vs. Ohio)
- Week 8: Preston Hutchinson, QB, EMU (31-of-36, 357 yards, four touchdowns [one rushing] vs. WMU)
- Week 9: LeVante Bellamy, RB, WMU (17 carries, 174 yards, four touchdowns vs. BGSU)