It was a tough vote this time around, as Mike Glass III had to fight off a write-in candidate in Western Michigan RB LeVante Bellamy (15 carries, 192 yards and three touchdowns), but he ultimately won the honor of being the Hustle Belt Player of the Week for Week 3, and will hold the Hustle Belt for the next week of games with 53 percent of the vote.
Because of an overwhelming amount of write-ins, we've made the executive decision to place the winner of the POTW poll against the write-in candidate!— Hustle Belt (@HustleBelt) September 18, 2019
* EMU QB Mike Glass III: 23-36, 316 yards, 3 passing TDs
* WMU RB LeVante Bellamy: 15 carries, 192 yards, 3 TDs
Glass III helped engineer the Eagles’ upset big against the Illinois Fighting Illini, submitting a near-perfect quarterbacking performance on the day, competing 23-of-36 passes for 316 yards and three touchdowns, with no interceptions.
The Eagles built up a pretty sturdy lead, going on a 17-point unanswered run after halftime to take a 31-17 lead. While the defense struggled to contain the Illini offense, Glass did his best in managing the game and preventing big mistakes, which ultimately placed EMU in position to kick the game-winning field goal.
Glass III is the third MAC West QB to take home the Hustle Belt honors, after Jon Wassink in Week 1 and Drew Pllitt in Week 2. He’s the first MAC player to take home the honors playing against an FBS-levl team, with the other two performances coming against FCS squads.
The 2019 Hustle Belt Player of the Week Award List
- Week 1: Jon Wassink, QB, WMU (20-of-25, 368 yards, five touchdowns vs. Monmouth)
- Week 2: Drew Plitt, QB, Ball State (32-of-40, 439 yards, six touchdowns vs. Fordham)
- Week 3: Mike Glass III, QB, EMU (23-of-36, 316 yards, three touchdowns vs. Illinois)